Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The ORU Connection

There is no reason for me to feel myself inferior to some graduate of ORU. The ORU people like to assert themselves as the sole authority on all matters of Pentecostalism, gradually pushing aside any AG person who did not attend ORU, which is their strategy. I did not go to ORU and yet I am not stupid. I have no need of Sharon of ORU to explain the plan of salvation to me. I got plenty of spiritual guidance from the AG and never got any help from ORU. Thus I personally have not much thought of ORU. ORU has its place in Oklahoma but there is no central voice of Pentecostalism in the U.S. We are vaguely aware that the "Voice of China" moved its headquarters to Tulsa, Oklahoma, the "Voice of China" being the organization that was founded in Pasadena, Calif., by the late Bob Hammond, whose parents served as missionaries to China along with my great-grandparents. The Hammond family maintains an interest in China ministry but we here were never involved in China and have no thought of the "Voice of China." If the Hammonds were nice people who actually shared information with us about their activities that might be interesting to hear, but for them to be jeering at us and trying to make us feel like garbage just makes us less and less inclined to ever contribute a single dime to the "Voice of China," whatever that means.