Thursday, June 7, 2012

Diary Tidbits-January 1981

Jan. 1: "Spent time sorting presents and hunting for a lost letter. Lunch at 1. More sorting and readjusting….About 8:30 someone rang doorbell. Julia called to ask who it is and they left."
Jan. 2: "Up and going as usual. Grace was back here by 8….Ralph stopped in to tell me one of Samuel’s sons is coming to visit you. I waited for them but they did not come….Grace appeared after 9 and we played dominoes until 10."
Jan. 3: "Just before noon came James Eric Barth and a friend of J. Kelly. He is Samuel’s youngest son. They were at Esther’s and plan to go home tomorrow. A big surprise to see him. Have learned something about my family in San Jose. He played dominoes with me for an hour. They left for Esther’s about 5. Ralph and Julia went to L.A. airport to get Gloria who is due at 6:30. I had a game of transograms. Then Grace and I played dominoes until 9:40.
The folks arrived after 10. Gloria greeted me joyfully, then they went to Esther’s until Grace gets another job."
Jan. 4: "Ralph came and took me to church and brot me to their house. Julia came over and Merle and Kaye were there, also Gloria and son Walter and we had dinner together at Esther’s. Gloria is so glad to be back in United States. Julia went to FedMart, then came for me and brot me home. We had been here a few minutes when Audrey and Suzanne came from their trip north. After they left I spent the time reading and watching animal program on TV."
Jan. 5: "A game of dominoes. Wrote a letter to Rev. Elmer Bates and family. Now I’ll have a game of transograms. Left hand won."
Jan. 7: "Took my morning medicine, then went to Esther’s for breakfast and was there until mid afternoon. Julia had to be at Base at 8 AM. Gloria was at Esther’s. Gracie’s day off. I read most of the time. Esther went to Los Angeles. Ralph went somewhere so there was Gloria, her son Walter and I. Gloria took me for a walk."
Jan. 8: "Grace came back at 9 to inform us she has another job and is leaving now. Gloria is busy until Monday so we are without help….While I was playing my game Ralph came bringing Gloria and Walter. They will stay until Saturday morning. She is going to help Audrey Saturday. Now it is bedtime."
Jan. 9: "I am informed that we are all going to Audrey’s. We went and I was there until after supper. Julia, Audrey and Sue went to town but came back for supper. Julia, Gloria and Walter got home at 9 o’clock."
Jan. 10: "Julia and woman friend went to Vista. Watched TV and read."
Jan. 11: "Ralph came and took me to church, Gloria with me. After church took us to their home for dinner."
Jan. 12: "Walter is starting to school this morning. Suzanne arrived before 9. I spent the morning waiting in car while Julia, Susie and Gloria got Walter settled in school. After lunch I had an hour nap. Did some reading, then played dominoes teaching Gloria and Walter how to play."
Jan. 13: "Looked at newspaper, then Suzanne and I had two games of transograms. Now it is announced that we are going out for lunch. We had lunch, then went to Dr. Curtin about my eyes and got home after 3:30. Then I started checking my checks. Susie suggested playing dominoes and we did that until around 5. Had a good supper, much better than the lunch at restaurant."
Jan. 14: "Up and ready by 7:20. Walter has to be at school by 8:20….After supper came Ralph and Esther. Sue, Walter and I played dominoes a while. Heard that Grace B. is in hospital with pneumonia. I am having pain in right leg."
Jan. 15: "Much pain until 2 o’clock this morning. Usual reading. Suzanne took Gloria and I to church and we were there 10 to 10 (9:50) so got to work early. Got a lot of cutting done. Suzanne came for us about 1 and shortly after Julia said we were to go to Esther’s. I took along my needlepoint and worked on that. We had a delicious dinner at Esther’s. Ralph came for us and I had a pleasant ride while he was doing errands. We arrived home at 8:45."
Jan. 16: "Had thank you from Kay and Merle. After supper Suzanne went home to San Diego."
Jan. 17: "Worked a needlepoint. Got nothing. Had to rip all I did. After 3 went for ride while Julia and Gloria did errands."
Jan. 18: "Julia took us to church and stayed. Was a good service. She bought hamburgers and we ate them at home. They were good. After lunch we went to the animal park beyond Escondido. They took the wheelchair and we went around to see many things. Then at 4 PM took the car around the park. It was all very nice."
Jan. 19: "Wrote a letter to Joe and Dora. Had a walk to lagoon."
Jan. 20: "After breakfast listened to inauguration speech by new president Reagan. Wrote to David Benjamin. Had a walk to lagoon."
Jan. 21: "After lunch worked until 3:45. Then Pastor Webber called at 4 and left about 4:30. Then a ride to Plaza and a WAIT in car with Walter while Julia and Gloria shopped, then home to supper. Read evening paper, then the “Voice” magazine."
Jan. 22: "Usual reading. Julia took us to church. We had visitors from another church. Worked 1:34 hours. Julia came back for lunch and we left at 1 for Esther’s. I took a nap, then worked until too dark."
Jan. 23: "Had a walk around rose garden. Worked until lunch. Suzanne and Audrey came for lunch, then they and Julia went away for a while. Audrey went in late afternoon….Esther not happy with my needlework. I am so tired of reading and working."
Jan. 24: "A ride to Plaza waiting. My glasses mended. Home to supper near 6."
Jan. 25: "Suzanne drove the car, took all of us to Vista where we left Gloria and Walter with friends, then left Julia and I at church. She came back for us at 12 and had to wait a while. We got home at 12:30. Had two naps. Suzanne took me for walk up the road. Spent rest of day reading and watching animals on TV."
Jan. 26: "A letter from Dora, a photo of Joe and Dora, excellent one. Needlepoint, mostly ripping. Candy Calkins came to see me. After Candie and Esther left more work….After supper came Ralph and Harold. They visited until about 9 and left."
Jan. 27: "Usual reading. An upset and scare. A walk around rose garden….Work until too dark. Suzanne, Walter and I had a game of dominoes. Walter is learning how to play. After 8 Suzanne and I had a game of transograms."
Jan. 29: "Suzanne took Gloria and I to church and Ralph came after us. Julia walked from her home to church. Susie went on to San Diego. She came back to Esther’s where we all had supper. Came home by 8:30. Appears like I left my purse and needlepoint over there."
Jan. 30: "Joe Fawaz called on us for a while. Then came Audrey and Elmer Bates. After lunch they went shopping….Woman from welfare called this morning."
Jan. 31: "Esther suffering with her knee trouble. Julia and Elmer left about 2 for LA. To take ship to San Jan. Walter and I went to Esther’s while Suzanne took Julia and Gloria to ship to see them off. Many of relatives were there to see them off. She was back to Esther’s to get Walter and I before 9:30."