Friday, June 1, 2012

Diary Tidbits-April to September 1979

Apr. 7: "Mary Olive called from Texas. I could hear her but she heard me. I feel a little stronger today and wish I could hear but thankful I can see."
Apr. 8: "Julia and I went to church. Appeared to be good message but I understood nothing. When we got home I went to bed and to sleep so late lunch. About 8 PM came George, Audrey, Tina, Daniel, wife and daughter. Audrey brot me a poem card and a gift book. They left after 9. Then Gloria wound a skein of yarn into a ball and now it is my bedtime. Hope I can sleep."
Apr. 9: "Ralph and Esther came over for the evening and they all except me spent the time winding yarn into balls. They left about 10. Then we all retired. Slept some."
Apr. 10: "Started to read a book someone left here. Read a chapter, then work on the needlepoint. Did that way all day."
Apr. 12: "Got a card from Mary Martha from China where they are traveling. This has been an interesting day."
Apr. 13: "Gloria don’t feel well tonite, her stomach is hurting her. I told her to drink a lot of hot water."
Apr. 14: "After lunch Julia took me with her to a place I had wondered about and found that one of our church ladies lives there — Mrs. Sandberg — she showed Julia around. I sat in the beautiful big room. It is where Mildred Gram? Lives but she is in another part of building."
Apr. 15: "Gloria’s day off but she went with us. A good Easter service at church but I understood nothing. I wish people who can hear would appreciate it."
Apr. 16: "Did my morning reading, then worked on needlepoint. One side was on frame crooked so I loosened it up and with Gloria’s help got it straightened and continued to work….A little late came Ralph with Aaron and Amy. Invited me to go with them to feed the ducks. I went along and we were back before 12….After 4 walked up the road to the neighbors to see the daisies — and lavender flowers by their mailbox. Paper came so I'll read.….Julia stayed at school all day to save gas and is home before 9:30."
Apr. 18: "Worked on pillow until lunch, now not sure what next….Made some mistakes and a lot of ripping. Gloria has loaned me a needle so I can go ahead."
Apr. 20: "Did my usual morning reading. Worked on the pillow — did a lot of ripping because of mistakes. The toilet went wrong. Joe and Docma? Dora? Came over, then they left and Joe came back with his tools — got a new toilet and had it done about 4 — So Joe ate lunch with Gloria and I….I did a bit of reading and also had a walk up the road a block."
Apr. 21: "Julia gone to a rummage sale. Mailed notice to Appalachian Project. Sowed and ripped on the pillow. Had a walk up the road."
Apr. 22: "Gloria left with her boyfriend while we were at breakfast. Ralph and Esther came by and took me to church and then had lunch with us."
Apr. 23: "Waffles and bacon for breakfast. Reading done before eating. Worked on pillow — mostly ripping…."
Apr. 24: "Up at 2:30 and got ready for trip to hospital for chest X-ray ordered by Dr. Steiger. After that was able to have my ear attended to and my glasses fixed. So got three things done on one trip."
Apr. 25: "No ladies meeting here so I don’t know what I will be doing tomorrow."
Apr. 26: "Pantyhose I ordered came today so now I must mark them with some red thread. Ralph, Esther, Cindy and Heather came around 4. Ralph set up the table and we four played dominoes."
Apr. 27: "Been reading in the “Signs of the Times” gift from Grace Brassington. Very good."
Apr. 29: "About 4 PM Christopher stopped by for an hour on his way back to school. They have only two more weeks instead of six like the public school. My lamp won’t work — wish Ariel were here, he might be able to fix it. It needed new bulb Julia had one so all is going well."
Apr. 30: "At 1 Ralph came for me and I went with him to San Marcos to get his Dad, then to Vista to do something to the Bug. While waiting there saw Linda for few minutes, then came home." 
May 1: "Went to lagoon a bit late so missed one train and bus but saw airplane….Read a lot in book and newspaper."
May 4: "Working on pillow top removing brown from four parts….After 1 went to hospital for X-rays. Stopped at MayCo on way home….Gloria just brot me glass of juice. Had a walk up the road before dinner. After dinner read the news, did the puzzle and read some in May Reader’s Digest."
May 5: "At 4 PM a ride to R.O. and Big Bear, reading while Julia shopped." 
May 6: "Ralph and Esther came by and took me to church, a missionary the speaker. My aid failed and I sat in absolute silence not hearing a sound for over an hour."
May 7: "Then went to lagoon, saw train going north and south, bus doing likewise. Saw one copter, too cold to sit long and I wanted to prepare more mail. Worked on pillow, now have very little more to do."
May 9: "A walk up the road (at) 4. As we arrived back Chaplin Nelson came to see me….Just now I finished reading a book Esther loaned me. Been reading and doing puzzle, now it’s bath and bed."
May 10: "Got to women’s meeting about 10:10. Worked until 11:45, then had a very good lunch. Left when I got thru the last one."
May 11: "Ralph forgot something and I rode over to their house with him to get it. They gave me a roll of stamps in the cutest container for a Mother’s Day gift since they won’t be here. They are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow. I shall miss them."
May 12: "About 4 a walk a block up the road. Doing puzzle. After supper about 8 PM had game with Gloria to help her with English over half hour until bedtime. Will retire before 10."
May 13: "For breakfast ripe strawberries out of our own garden. Went to church in Carlsbad. I was oldest mother present. They gave me a special songbook."
May 15: "Waffles and papaya for breakfast….David Benjamin sent me a beautiful plant full of pink blooms."
May 16: "Went to lagoon, saw bus and train going, then going south, the longest freight train I ever remember of seeing. We missed the passenger train going north."
May 17: "A card and letter from Esther. They are enjoying their travel, stayed on Oahu until Wednesday..."
May 18: "Mary Olive called and talked to Gloria in Spanish and of course sent her love and kiss to me. Bedtime."
May 20: "About 7 Julia and a woman friend went somewhere, probably to a singles meeting."
May 21: "Sent birthday card to Carlee Horn. Worked on pillow top. Went to lagoon at 10."
May 22: "Finished reading book about the veterinary. Started another….Phone call from Suzanne that she will have breakfast with us Sunday morning."
May 23: "John Carlson for dinner. I came into room after dinner to read. Letter from David Ben today written on his way to Canada. Now has sailing job 45 days on and 45 days off. That will allow him oftener. I read till after 9."
May 24: "Julia took Gloria and I to church before 10. One of office girls came right behind us and unlocked the door. Vice president came before 10 and opened storage so I worked steady from 10 to 11:45. Learned that Sister Stettler died. I think it was yesterday."
May 26: "Had a walk to lagoon. Saw train going to San Diego with 12 passenger cars. They usually have three or four. More reading and needlepoint (lots of ripping, too). A walk up the road at 4 PM. Gloria had today off but went nowhere. Julia went to a wedding at Holiday Park. Bob Schmidt came to take Julia out and he gave me a beautiful greeting card. I’ve lost Anita’s letter that came Friday. Am reading May Digest now. Expect Ralph and Esther home tomorrow."
May 28: "Usual reading today in Ruth and Acts….Esther brot me material for a dress, choice of three colors. Not decided which I want for sure."
May 29: "He came and I went with him to San Marcos to get his father. Came back a roundabout way and reached highway where Carlsbad and Leucadia meet, a delightful ride thru the country. Most of the rest of the time did needlepoint — with a lot of ripping."
May 30: "I did my usual morning reading and news and at 10 AM we went lagoon. I saw bus go both ways, also the trains. Saw one airplane. Could not see the ocean because of fog. Came home and worked on the needlepoint."
June 1: "Breakfast: egg, bacon, potatoes, toast. Usual reading and finishing last nite’s puzzle. Work on needlepoint."
June 2: "Gloria off to Disneyland at 7 AM. Breakfast: shred wheat, strawberries, black bread toast. Read the morning headlines. Needlepoint."
June 3: "Ralph came by and took us to church after coming home for few minutes. We six went for lunch, Ralph and Esther, Mr. and Mrs. Winnerberg, Julia and I, to Jolly Rogers. I like Kardiff Kitchen better than the Jolly Roger."
June 6: "In afternoon went to lagoon, saw bus going both ways, also a copter going south. Did a lot of reading. Julia put another piece of work on the frame so when I am ready it is waiting for me. At or about 3 Gloria and I went to lagoon. Now after 9 PM, am expecting a bath soon."
June 7: "No women’s meeting today so finally arrived at bank. Ralph came also so Gloria and I transferred to Ralph’s car and Julia went home….After lunch Esther removed my shoes and I laid down and went to sleep. Ralph went to San Marcos for to get his father for the afternoon but for some reason he did not want to come. Ralph invited me to go along and I went."
June 8: "The flowers are done. I am filling in between. Julia took me with her to get berries down past car country where they raise them. Mary Olive, Elizabeth, Eugene arrived late afternoon from Texas. They had refreshments, then went to Anaheim to practice for the wedding tomorrow at 4 PM. We plan to go. I think Liz is a bridesmaid."
June 10: "Not going to church this AM. Julia says go tonite instead. So we went tonite and heard a large group of children from San Diego church sing with a few adults for an hour. Got to bed after 10."
June 11: "At 10 Gloria and I went to lagoon. Saw train going north and bus going south and later north. Worked on needlepoint. Finished reading “I came to love you later,” an excellent book, a story about Lazarus and Jesus. I want to finish my rose but I don’t know how."
June 12: "They decided to take a ride to the beach and I went with them. They went down to the water but I walked a block on the pier. Had a late supper."
June 13: "Had several games of dominoes after lunch. All but Mary Olive went somewhere, was back in a little while and about 2 o’clock they all left for Garden Grove. They plan to be back in August after going to Alaska."
June 14: "Usual reading, then worked on needlepoint until 9:45, then off to church. Gloria with me at church. Julia to College for final tests. Nothing left for me to cut so I visited with some of the women and began a list of their names, something I been planning to do for a long time. I know their faces but not their names. Now I’ll try to put them together. Karen Hines, missionary from …, was there and talked to us during devotions but I barely heard her and understood nothing. Julia came for lunch and we got home before 3 PM."
June 15: "At 10 AM a trip to lagoon. Saw bus come and go. Saw six-car train go north."
June 17: "Merle had gone and got Grandpa Calkins and we all had a good dinner. Father’s Day — …Saw a lot of animals on TV Omaha program. Grandpa Calkins oldest man in congregation at church. Nine people joined the Gospel Tabernacle today."
June 18: "Then we went to see Audrey’s new home and were there a while. Her present home is sooo much nicer than the one before….Suzanne could not do some typing Julia needed concerning Gloria so we left about 6 PM and reached home around 7 PM."
June 20: "Ralph and Esther came by and took us to church. A missionary from El Salvador spoke. After service Gloria talked to them in Spanish. Ralph and Esther brot us home…"
June 21: "About 2 PM came Ralph and Esther and we all went in their car to the County Fair. They took wheelchair for me. We were there looking until about 7:30 and got home before 9."
June 22: "Suzanne working on the papers concerning Gloria….Stopped at Kardiff Ktichen for supper. I should have taken my needlepoint so as to have something to do. It was good to see them all but I was thankful to get home. Had one game of Chinese checkers with Tina. I won and she did not want to play more."
June 23: "About 5 had a walk up the road. Accomplished something today. Julia went away with some women for the evening."
June 24: "Merle driving — with Ralph and Esther in back — took me to church."
June 25:  "Had trouble finding Audrey home. Julia took Gloria to Suzanne’s first, then we finally located Audrey’s home and Julia left me there with my needlepoint equipment….Suzanne was having a party at 4 for her students from foreign countries."
June 26: "I tried to improve the appearance of corner of my room but did not accomplish much."
June 27: "Left about 10 for Suzanne’s. Some more typing about the green card. We took the needlepoint things all with us so I worked all day on that while the others were tending to the business. When they got thru with that we started for home….I got lots done at the needlepoint. Darlene does not look well. I took two games along but no one had time to play. The young ones busy in the pool."
June 29: "Clearing up of corner of my room. Took needlepoint off frame to measure next procedure."
July 3: "Ralph was over helping Julia move some furniture."
July 4: "Up and going to a late breakfast. Got started about 10. Went to Balboa Park and got in a line that took us nowhere. Did not find the Gallups as arranged. Moved a few inches at a time for an hour and finally left and went to Suzanne’s home. The Drapers came later. Had changed their mind about going to park."
July 5: "Ralph and Esther took me to Joe’s where they were to pick apricots. we were there until noon….Read some in a magazine about Hawaii."
July 6: "Julia and Gloria working with the apricots. Worked on needlepoint and doing last nite’s puzzle….Reading and needlepoint between other activities."
July 7: "Was just going to do needlepoint when Gloria came and said come get in the room. Afterward found they wanted to leave for a while because a man was spraying house and yard for bugs. They took me to Esther’s. In a few minutes Ralph and Merle took me for ride to Escondido to get Ralph’s car left there for repairs. Ralph brot car home. Merle brot me back to Esther’s."
July 8: "Julia took Gloria to Vista where she got a bus to Escondido. Then we went to visit Miss Hazlett at a nursing home in Vista. I had seen her only twice since her accident when she fell and broke her hip. We were glad to see each other. Then we came home, stopping at Safeway."
July 9: "Left at noon for Doctor Steiger. Said I was OK. Ha! Got home around 2, worked on needlepoint until near 4, then went to Dora’s. Joe left at 5:30 this AM for Sonora and got there at 12 — 415 miles. Gloria and Julia picked apricots, visited a while and we started home about 5. Stopped at Fedmart and now we are home at 5:45. They took my frame and took along so I had something to do while they picked the fruit. Dinner at 6:30."
July 10: "After lunch while working on needlepoint got so sleepy that I kept making mistakes so lay down for a nap. When I awoke went back to work and got along better."
July 11: "A walk to lagoon at 10. Needlepoint until lunch. Needlepoint in afternoon. Reading in evening, also doing usual puzzle. Ralph stopped in a few minutes this afternoon, Aaron and Heather with him. Julia and Gloria canned apricots today. Gloria and I took a walk up the road just before dark. Skylab fell in Australia. Paper said no fatalities. Bedtime."
July 12: "Lost my needle and none of us can find it. Finally found one in my thread box so could proceed….At 8 had a game of transograms, most difficult I ever played. Now bedtime. Have felt good today and hope — and pray — for good sleep tonite. It looks like needles evaporate. Ha!"
July 13: "Wrote to Laurie Goetchius back in Pennsylvania. Went to lagoon for few minutes. Saw bus and copter."
July 14: "Ralph and Esther came over to share our lamb dinner with us. Esther says Merle getting divorce from Linda. I am so sad about all this trouble. I did a bit of reading until dinner and after. Now it is near 10 PM and time for bed. Been a good day."
July 15: "A very quiet afternoon. Merle and the girls went away and Ralph and Esther took nap."
July 16: "Went to lagoon at 10, saw train going both ways, also bus. Worked on needlepoint until lunch. Went to Doc Curtin about my yes. He said keep up the drops as have been doing since the surgery. Worked at needlepoint until evening paper came. Read after supper. Had bath before 10, then to bed. Wrote a note to Tony Mitchell."
July 17: "Ralph doing repair work in my bathroom….Ralph and Esther left before dark and Ralph may finish the repair job tomorrow."
July 18: "Ralph ate lunch with us. Julia went away. She is omitting lunch to lose weight….Ralph worked in bathroom a while but it is not ready for use yet….Ralph worked in bathroom a while but it is not ready for use yet."
July 19: "After nap we went over and got Julia and Gloria and we five went to the Fuschia garden. They are so beautiful this time of year….They took wheelchair for me and Ralph wheeled me all thru the garden. I had not been to see them when they so beautiful."
July 20: "Did my usual reading — two chapters in Old Testament and one chapter in the New Testament….A woman from Penny’s came with carpet sampler but no decision yet."
July 21: "Gloria invited me to go with her to the garden to pick tomatoes and strawberries. I went along and watched her. While there saw a freight train go by, must have been near a hundred cars long."
July 22: "I did not know if I was going to church or not but around 10:20 came Esther and Ralph and Julia appeared ready to go so we four went and were there on time. Pastor Webber and family gone on vacation. Pastor Don did the preaching. Someone said it was good. As usual I understood nothing but was glad to be there." 
July 23: "After supper went to lagoon again and saw the 7:30 train go south. Been reading and watching TV all evening. Will soon have bath and go to bed by 10 PM. I miss Julia."
July 26: "Julia took Gloria and I to the women’s meeting. Found a line of women across the room in rocking chairs, a game they were playing and different ones paying them $1 per hour for rocking. Some of the women were working at their crochet work or whatever. All the money goes into the penny fount. After lunch I greeted sister Smith who used to live here and we arrived home about 1:30."
July 29: "Suzanne came up to have breakfast with us. Over at 9:15. Gloria left for the day. Suzanne, Julia and I went to church. From there came home a few minutes, then went to a Chinese dinner. After that from store to store, Julia looking for couches."
July 30: "As usual. Julia and Gloria made a lovely cocoanut cream pie for me as a surprise. It is delicious."
July 31: "After supper and a TV program Julia took us to do an errand at Handy Man. It’s now near 10 so must get ready to retire. It has been a good day and I hope and pray for a good nite."
Aug. 1: "Finished the piece I was doing for Julia. Did some toward finishing my needlepoint rose from Patty. Finished a book Audrey had given me."
Aug. 2: "Mrs. Freeman left about 8 and we left shortly after, came home and a little later Julia left for ?. So Gloria and I are by ourselves. Off to bed at 10."
Aug. 3: "Had corn breakfast food and strawberries for breakfast."
Aug. 4: "We had a game after supper, then watched TV until Ralph and Esther came from dinner at Joe’s before 10 and Wildays went home with them to sleep."
Aug. 6: "Julia called and said she would be up Thursday. Gloria said to Ralph that we need eggs and he brought a dozen….After 7 PM Gloria and I went to lagoon. Saw one train, two planes and the bus and watched the sun go down."
Aug. 7: "The TV is not at all interesting to me. Julia called and talked to Gloria and I am not sure what is planned for tomorrow. Sounded like we are to go down to San Diego. We shall see. Gloria don’t always understand and I often don’t understand her."
Aug. 8: "A man came to paint the house under big window at the west. Went to lagoon at 10 and afternoon. Ralph stopped by to say they were leaving at 4 PM to travel at nite up to Oregon or Washington, I forget which."
Aug. 9: "Suzanne just said let’s have a game so in the middle she had to go to bank with Julia. It’s payday for Gloria so hope they get back quick so we can finish before we must have the table. We had chance to finish. After lunch went to Suzie’s home and there came Betty Mueller and husband to visit (Mrs. Storey’s daughter) from Fontana. Had a nice time. Suzanne and I had to share same bed and neither one slept."
Aug. 10: "Muellers left before noon. Lunch, then Julia and Susie went shopping. Gloria worked all the time, got the dinner and then we left for home around 7. Stopped at Big Bear and were home by 8. I retired just after 10 but slept very little."
Aug. 12: "We were just finished when Suzanne came in. She will stay here while Gloria will be gone today and tomorrow. Julia is not able to look after me since surgery — and Gloria needs time off."
Aug. 13: "I’ve enjoyed playing games with Suzanne. She won all of them but the last one. I don’t mind others winning. It’s just interesting to play word games. Three years today since Gil passed away."
Aug. 14: "Going to funeral of a minister who visited Gil in the hospital before he died three years ago yesterday."
Aug. 15: "Julia returned home before 8. So glad she is here. Bedtime now. Hope for sleep."
Aug. 16: "Joe came around 9:30 to say goodbye to us. He is leaving at 3 AM tomorrow for Sonora….A card from Dorothy and David from British Columbia. They are probably home now since David must ship out the 17th. "
Aug. 17: "At 10 went to lagoon, saw trains and buses going both ways. Saw a copter and airplane. Came home and worked on needlepoint until lunch. Julia went to San Diego before lunch. Some man came and worked on outside lighting fixtures….Joe was to leave for Sonora at 3:30 AM."
Aug. 19: "Read until too sleepy. Later watched Wild Kingdom (mostly ostriches) and little late Robert Schuller’s program. Understood none of the talk. Now 9:45, hope Gloria comes soon. Good nit."
Aug. 20: "Gloria’s birthday. Betty and Suzanne took her shopping. Katherine and I had a game while they were gone. Then we all had dinner together. They presented to her gifts and a birthday cake. They left for San Diego about 10:30 PM and we here retired. I think I have finished the needlepoint. Katherine and I had a stroll out to the lagoon."
Aug. 21: "Katherine and Betty came about 2 PM and we six went to Chinese lunch. Was real good. Came back here around 4 PM and Betty and Katherine left for home in Fontana about 6:30."
Aug. 22: "Sue came to my door and said want a game. I said yes and we had a game of anagrams, then they left for Doctor about Julia’s facelift in San Diego."
Aug. 23: "Suzanne took me to church before 10 and came for me at 1:30 PM. Mrs. Salseth was there and she spoke in the 1 o’clock meeting but I heard nothing. We came home at 2 PM, found the carpet laid and things being set in place."
Aug. 24: "Sue went home this afternoon. Dinner at 6 PM. About 7:30 came Ralph. They have company but will find a place for me. I’ll now have a lonesome game at 7:45, then read until bedtime if there is any time. 9:45 and I’m going to bed. Julia gone to bed and Gloria asleep on the couch."
Aug. 25: "Ralph came for me about 10:30. The singles club are having a luau from 5 to 12? Tonite so I have to be elsewhere so my bathroom will be free. Expecting 50 people so they need all the room….Merle’s lady friend was here for lunch…"
Aug. 26: "Breakfast around 9. Merle took his girls and went somewhere. Ralph went to church. I been reading. Met Mrs. Tyler, one of the neighbors."
Aug. 27: "Sent a letter to Bible Society….At 12:30 Ralph came and took Julia to Doctor Steiger who said I was doing good, come back in two months. Then they went shopping so we got around 2:30 or 3….Read evening paper and had a game of anagrams. Just before I finished Julia found lost letter with wanted address. Now I will prepare for bed feeling relieved."
Aug. 29: "Painter here. Did some reading at 10. Went to lagoon, saw trains going both ways and bus going north. Now Gloria is fixing a pantyhose for me; she is such a capable person. I had a game of anagrams around 5. Julia came home while I was using the kitchen table. I finished in time. After supper read evening paper, did puzzles, then read in the Voice and another magazine."
Aug. 30: "I am reading a book about Oral Roberts this afternoon and evening. Right after supper we walked up the road a block. I also had two games of anagrams. Now it’s bedtime."
Aug. 31: "Julia and I got away about 11 AM, went Suzanne’s, then found Audrey not at home. I was supposed to stay there but instead I went with Sue and Julia so was in car most of the afternoon. We went out for lunch and also place was so dark where we sat I could hardly see."
Sep. 2: "Julia spent the day putting the furnishings back in her bedroom. The carpet man refused to do what she wanted done. All the Saturday work done for nothing."
Sep. 3: "At 2:30 PM we left to get gas and go to the Animal Park beyond Escondido. Took wheelchair for me. Wandered around the business area until around 6 PM. During that time came to a hill that was too hard to push me up. Julia ask a policewoman in a vehicle to take me up the hill. She was very kind and helped me in and Julia and I rode up and Gloria pushed the empty chair up. At 6 we boarded the monorail and went around the animal park. I saw a baby giraffe and a baby rhinoceros and many deer. We missed the elephants. Drove home after dark. It was an enjoyable afternoon."
Sep. 6: "Julia took Gloria and I to church before 10. She came back for lunch and since Mary Olive was speaker she stayed for the after meeting, getting home around 2."
Sep. 8: "Gene, Mary Olive and Liz came before 11 and we went to see Miss Hazlett for a half hour. Eugene took her outside down the walk where we could visit. She is deaf and we have to talk loud. We came home at noon for lunch, then they all left except Gloria and I. I told her to go and rest. She did. I read some letters I had received from the Hunts from the mission field so long ago. They were like new to me. Have a lot more to read later."
Sep. 11: "This afternoon sewer stopped up, had to call help to open. Ralph and Eugene were here for a while. Elizabeth came and we had a game of transograms and she walked with me a block up the road. Ralph came for her at 10 and we watched TV a few minutes, then I went to bed."
Sep. 13: "We heard there was no meeting at church so went over to Esther’s, while there found out there was a meeting so went, arriving a half-hour later. Mary Olive and Liz went along. Sis. Morton who was my neighbor seven years ago was there and talked to us from Psalm 125 so I was told….Mrs. Freeman and Chaplin Nelson were there and he talked incessantly. No one talked to me and I had a lonely time. Had a few minutes with Mary Olive, then someone called her."
Sep. 14: "On my way to read AM paper — got 30 seconds notice I was going to the boot camp graduation of Ralph Butterfield so left right now. It was interesting to see the groups of Navy men, six companies. After that a hamburger and more activity. Suzanne took 10 of us to Chinese dinner, the place so dark I could not see what I was eating. Then to Suzanne’s home….The Butterfields were all there from Lakewood. So good to see them again. Ralph brot Esther home late afternoon. Julia had to get her car out of shop. Anita said they were driving home tonite."
Sep. 15: "Eugene came in a few minutes, also Ralph….Have not been anywhere and seen noone one but yardman since morning."
Sep. 17: "Usual reading. Got and mailed request for card catalogue."
Sep. 21: "Julia gone to college. Usual reading. Worked on cross-stitching."
Sep. 22: "About 2:30 or 3 went to Suzanne’s. About 6:30 Ariel took us to Mexican dinner. I had enchilada. Good. Then we went back to Suzanne’s. Left there about 9 and got to bed about 10."
Sep. 23: "About 8 Ariel and Ariel came for a while. I think they left about 8:30 or 8:45."
Sep. 24: "Started on Suzanne’s tablecloth cross-stitching. After lunch took Gloria to have her sore hand tended to out at at… Dinner at 5:30."
Sep. 28: "Left for San Diego about 1 PM. Stopped to put note on Susie’s door, then went to Audrey’s, left me there and kept 3 PM appointment for Gloria who was ill with tonsillitis….We left Audrey’s and went for Sue and drove miles, I don’t where to, and there met Audrey, George, Tina, Debby and her children for dinner. So dark I did not know what the food was. George moved me where there was a little more light. We came back to Sue’s for a while, then came home about 9:15. I’ll soon go to bed. So thankful to arrive safely. I got nervous riding at nite."
Sep. 30: "Gloria gone until 10 PM. She is feeling better and I am so glad."