Monday, June 4, 2012

Diary Tidbits-January 1980

Jan. 1: "The fog came in so the curtains were not drawn so I could work until 4 PM and finished another yellow flower. Shortly after that came Audrey, George, Suzanne and Tina. Right away Audrey said let’s have game. Suzanne, Audrey, Tina & I had one game of transograms. After supper Susie suggested we have a game of anagrams. I was delighted so we did. Shortly after they left for home. Then I read the paper. Been a good day. Only my left knee rather just above it is having pain often. Hope it quits before 10 PM."
Jan. 3: "Julia took us to church and I got some needlepoint to do instead of cutting stuffing,,,Had game in evening. Tried to help Gloria with English."
Jan. 4: "Up as usual but not feeling good. Gloria worked my hair and did it up in curlers….About 1 PM came Chaplin Nelson. Julia was gone so he visited with me."
Jan. 5: "Rode to Big Bear with Julia, took paper along and read until too dark. When we got home Ralph … Cindy and Heather were here shortly after … and Ralph left for Costa Mesa to take her back to school. After our supper Cindy and Heather and I played dominoes. Near 8 PM Faye and Merle came for the girls….Felt pretty good except for lack of balance making hard for me to walk."
Jan. 6: "Up and going as usual. Did not get to church, no one to go with me and I am too unsteady on my feet to go alone."
Jan. 8: "Read evening paper and watched TV. Didn’t care for what was on. We had pumpkin pie for lunch and some delicious bread or something Gloria made."
Jan. 9: "Wrote a letter to Laurie Goetchius. Did some cross-stitching, also some ripping out wrong color. Rained so had little exercise today. Glroia helped me as she often does with threading needles and embroidered one set of flowers. Ralph driving to Sonora tonite."
Jan. 10: "Hope to get to church. Julia took us at 9:30. Our new president Cathy Johnson. Pastor Webber’s mother and Sis. Johnson were there from Encinitas. We left after 1 and I did some stitching."
Jan. 12: "Gloria went to store with Julia and Mable and I played dominoes."
Jan. 13: "Sis. Hensley’s sister who lives in Los Angeles area came after here at 4:30 PM and they left a few minutes later. Julia said we will go over to Esther’s so we immediately left home. She then left me there until after 10 PM So we were all late to bed."
Jan. 14: "Read the papers and about ? came Audrey with her friends, Mrs. Wimp and daughter. Nice people and we had a nice time visiting. They left about 8 PM."
Jan. 15: "Dinner at 6+ and then read paper and investigate a game given me for birthday. It’s 8 PM and I guess I’ll have a game. I had one game transograms."
Jan. 17: "Off to church before 10. Worked on needlepoint. Julia came at noon. Had a busy crowd. Lady came with the wares. We left before 2 and were home a while."
Jan. 18: "After lunch wrote to Joe, then worked at stitching as long as I could see….After supper played a game but then came animals on TV so I watched them until near bedtime.
Jan. 19: "This week the dishwasher quit and today Brother Sumner came and fixed it….Word has come Joe is going home from the hospital. Leonard, Joanna and Gwen are going up to see him. Julia and I may go later."
Jan. 20: "Hope to see Wild Kingdom 8 PM. Saw TV 8 to 9:45."
Jan. 22: "Finished second napkin today and Julia helped me get the third one on frame. At 9:40 sudden decision for me to get a permanent at 10. So we hurried off for that and were home by ?….Ralph and Esther and Harold here for dinner at 7 PM. He showed some pictures. They left shortly after 9 PM. Good to see Harold again."
Jan. 23: "Julia talked to Joanna today. She said he, Joe, is better….Julia got letter from Ralph Butterfield. He is on ship now — the Alamo. Got third napkin done all but few stitches."
Jan. 24: "Julia took us to church at 10. I made mistakes so had to rip. Most were late, only three or four there when we arrived at 10:15….Hope to get more done tomorrow than I did today. Julia helped me put a napkin on frame and I got started on my fourth napkin. Had a good game of transograms."
Jan. 25: "My cousin Harold Stewart phoned he would be to call on us next Wednesday, Jan. 30, around 1 or 1:30 PM."
Jan. 26: "In afternoon got fifth napkin on frame ready to work Monday….Wrote to Joe and Dora and sent letter and card returned from hospital."
Jan. 27: "Gloria discovered water over floor by refrigerator at 10 last nite and called Ralph to come find the trouble. So they got settled by midnite."
Jan. 29: "Big wind last nite blew some of the roof off the carport. I finished fifth block today and Julia helped me put no. 6 on the frame ready to go in the morning. Julia found I was having trouble with shortness of breath and she call Dr. Stieger and he ordered an X-ray. We left at 3:15 and were back at 5:15."
Jan. 30: "Doctor ordered two kinds of heart medicine. Did my usual reading. Worked on the stitching and finished my sixth napkin today."
Jan. 31: "I have not felt normal today."