Monday, June 11, 2012

Diary Tidbits-September 1981

Sep. 1: "It’s after 9 and I am going to bed. We plan to go to Ariel’s tomorrow so are supposed to get up earlier."
Sep. 2: "Hoped to get away at 8 to go to Ariel’s but got away after 9, went a roundabout way and got there after 12 after taking Julia to a friend’s house….We left there after 4, went to get Julia and had refreshments there and left around 5 and arrived home about 7:30. Been a good day. I was very glad to get home and now I am going to bed."
Sep. 3: "I had a nap and then we left for San Diego where I finished my nap and we went to airport to meet Suzanne. She arrived around 5. Then we went to Murlene’s where we had dinner around 7. Most of Audrey’s family were there. It was nice meting all the folks."
Sep. 4: "At 3:30 we left for the hospital. First Gloria went for treatment, then Julia took me to laboratory where they took a sample of my blood. Julia then went to Doctor and then we came home and I worked a bit more."
Sep. 5: "While we were eating breakfast Suzanne arrived. We are all so glad to have her back home. I finished a pillow top for Julia today."
Sep. 6: "Ralph and Esther came and took Walter and I to church, brot us home and had lunch with us….They are going to take me to church for 6 o’clock service. Left at 5:45 and arrived home about 7:40. I understood nothing. Bro. Webber presented me with a New Testament and Psalm in the King James Version as the oldest grandparent there. It’s after 9:30 so I’ll get ready for bed."
Sep. 7: "Sunshine this morning, will probably be a hot day. Usual reading."
Sep. 8: "Supper about 5. Julia going to Spanish class. Before I was thru eating came Audrey, Joe and Darlene Fawaz. Stopped on their way back from visiting son Joe Barth in Sonora. Visited about a half hour, then went on home. I spent evening reading."
Sep. 9: "Julia took us to church, arriving at 10:10, and came for us before 1….
Sep. 10: "After the nap I worked until 4. Then Gloria took me for a walk. Worked until suppertime. While eating came Murlene and Darell. They had a bit of food and left when Julia left for school."
Sep. 11: "Made a big mistake so have ripping to do tomorrow. Ralph and Esther came home today."
Sep. 12: "Suzanne came to have breakfast with us. She stayed until late afternoon. She starts teaching school in La Jolla on Monday. Ralph received phone call from David Benjamin Barth that their only son was killed yesterday in airplane accident. I worked all day on needlepoint, took 20 minutes off for walk up the road and also had a nap. Pastor Webber’s son’s wedding at 1 today at the church. We did not go. Ralph and Esther said church was full of people. After 9 a game of transograms. Now bed."
Sep. 13: "Been reading and watching TV. Gloria and Walter went away after lunch, were back early about 7. I have been informed that we are to go to bed at 9:30 instead of 10."
Sep. 14: "Mailed letter to David and Dorothy. Had a walk to lagoon at 11. Looked at newspaper."
Sep. 15: "Usual reading. At 11 had walk to lagoon."
Sep. 16: "Up and going as usual. I finished pillow top for Esther before lunch. After lunch had a nap. Gloria put backing on frame for a pillow top for Julia and Julia and I planned the colors. After supper Gloria went to school and I had a game of transograms. Julia has go get her at 8:45 and I’ll go along. 9:30 and bedtime. New time set."
Sep. 17: "Murlene came up from San Diego and took Gloria and I to church. She met old acquaintances. About 3:30 came Pastor Nelson to visit. I got started on a pillow for Julia, made a mistake and had to rip a lot. After supper Julia went to Spanish class and Murlene and I had a game of transograms, her first time."
Sep. 18: "Working until lunch, after lunch a trip to hospital for Gloria. More work."
Sep. 19: "After breakfast Julia and Gloria went to a rummage sale. I feel good after a good sleep. They returned in time for lunch. I work while they were gone and after lunch until about 4. Then we all went to the plaza and I didn’t know it but they brot the wheelchair along and took me to Woolworth’s store and around in it. I enjoyed that for I had not been in a store for nearly two years. But unfortunately had an accident when I got on my feet from can? (that made extra? X-ray? work) and I am sorry but could not help it. Worked a few minutes, then read and watched TV."
Sep. 20: "No one came to take me to church. I have spent the day reading, walking and watching TV. I also got a letter written."
Sep. 21: "When I was just finished breakfast came Murlene. She stayed until 9 PM. We had a game."
Sep. 22: "Murlene came today. We had two games in evening. She stayed all nite. Ralph and Esther came home at 3 AM. They stayed at Joe’s while up north. Murelen and I had two games of transograms."
Sep. 23: "Started a game but had to quit. Murlene went home around 1:30 or 2. I worked until after 4. Ralph and Esther came over. Ralph took Gloria to school. Esther is fixing a dress for me. I had a game of transograms. Left hand won."
Sep. 24: "Ralph came and took us to church, then after meeting and lunch over took us to their home. Later Julia and Gloria came for dinner."
Sep. 25: "Up and going after a miserable nite. Got up at 4 AM and ate a dish of bread and milk. Breakfast over after 9….Worked until noon and after lunch. While we were eating came Harold Calkins from Florida and visited with me for near an hour. It was so good to see this grandson. After he left I had a little nap, then worked until near 6, then had to walk up the road."
Sep. 26: "Breakfast over about 9:30. Ralph just brought a dress that Esther fixed for me. She put in a zipper, etc. Gloria washed my hair and did it in curlers. Before 3 they were to visit ... so took me to Esther’s. I had a nap, then read until they returned around 5 and we soon left for home. Then I worked and finished one end of pillow top. Had a later supper than usual so spent time reading and TV."
Sep. 27: "Unusual happening. Julia went to church tonite and I went with her. Merle and Kay sang with a group twice. Service from 6 to 8. Ate supper after church. 9:30 now and bedtime."
Sep. 28: "Julia left for school and then San Diego so we haven’t seen her all day. Gloria supposed to go to school tonite but no one here to take her. I worked all morning."
Sep. 29: "Finished pillow top for Julia. Gloria put canvas on frame and I started a pillow top for Esther."
Sep. 30: "At 5 Ralph and Esther came to have supper with us. Ralph took Gloria to school and Julia went shopping. Esther stayed with me. Ralph picked up Gloria at 8:45 and brot her home. I spent the evening reading. At 9 had glass of milk and piece of cake, then read some more."