Monday, June 4, 2012

Diary Tidbits-November 1979

Nov. 1: "A little accident while dressing, dealing with a stubborn zipper….I had a delightful day and am so thankful they invited me to go. I got acquainted with Lydia and just after 3 came Devin and Vanessa. They are such nice children. After lunch Anita had a game of transograms, then another with Vanessa. It was a very enjoyable day and I am so glad I could go. Am still coughing."
Nov. 2: "Gloria got away for evening so Julia helped me to bed after 10. I had gone to sleep while reading. She turned on TV and that aroused me. Finally got thru coughing and slept very well. Ralph came over for supper."
Nov. 3: "Ralph came by at 5, invited me to go along as he was taking his father home to San Marcos. In late afternoon I walked around Buena Vista Circle for first time. When I got back from the ride Julia had a guest and we all ate dinner and they went somewhere. It’s 9:30 PM and I am tired, my cough continues to plague me. So I’ll get ready for bed."
Nov. 4: "Did not go to church for fear of spreading my cold or disturbing with coughing. Julia took Gloria to Vista so I had a ride."
Nov. 6: "To lagoon at 10. Saw two trains, the bus going both home. Walked home alone. Gloria helped me in — more cross-stitch until lunch, then more until 3….Gloria took me up the road to border of next lot. I feel weak and miserable and did not go usual distance. Will try to read a while."
Nov. 7: "Feel miserable all day. After dinner had a game of transograms and one of anagrams, then read until bedtime which is now."
Nov. 8: "Feel better up because when I lay down I must cough and can’t sleep. The Lord helped me and I slept from after 3 until after 6. Ralph came about 9:30 and brot Gloria and I to their house. I sat on a chair and went to sleep. It is now 11:15 and I am starting to work….Gloria’s right arm hurts so she cannot rest at nite. She has been helping Esther with her beadwork."
Nov. 10: "Spent much of last nite coughing and got rid of much unwanted so feel much better this morning….Now 20 minutes to 2 so I’ll sew a while. I worked until too dark, then had a walk up the road, got so weak I barely made it home. Tried to read after supper and went to sleep. Watched a TV program and almost slept at some of that but finally about ? Julia suggested a game and I finally got alive enough to have one game of transograms. So now when it’s near time to sleep I am not sleepy. O contrary me. I hope I don’t cough all nite. Am wondering about tomorrow."
Nov. 11: "Up and off to hospital without any breakfast after soaking the bed… .Got home about 1 and now eating is over, 1:45. I don’t hurt but I feel miserable and weak….I got to bed by 10:30 to spend a miserable nite. Medicine at 11 and coughing, medicine again at 5 AM Monday.
Nov. 12: "Work until too dark, about 4:30. Feel weak and worried. Had a terrible coughing spell in evening. Off to bed at 10. Awakened at 11 from sound sleep, thought it was morning. Wondered why Gloria didn’t put drops in my eyes. Then Julia said 11 o’clock and I got really awake and knew it was time for the medicine I take at 11 and 5. Slept good. Examined Audrey’s gift, shall enjoy it."
Nov. 13: "No coughing all nite — wonderful — medicine at 5 AM. I feel so much better this morning….Finished and mailed letter to Altadena. Worked at cross-stitch so long as I could see. Will now look at the Bible game. Studied it until 8:45."
Nov. 14: "Up to a late breakfast after a miserable nite of little sleep. Feel better after breakfast….Sent to Cheerful House for cards. Haven’t had a coughing spell today so am hoping to get to church tomorrow….After breakfast Gloria washed my hair and did it in curlers so I could look nice if I go somewhere on Thursday. She is such a dear, always wanting me to look nice. Five years ago last nite the stroke came to me."
Nov. 15: "Julia took Gloria and I to the church before 10 and I worked two hours. No coughing last nite. So good to be in the meeting. Julia came back and had lunch with us, took me to Esther’s, then went her way. Ralph took Gloria to Vista on way to get his father at San Marcos. About 3:30 took me to hospital for X-rays and got away from there about 4:15. Brot me to their home where Julia had already returned. Ralph’s father did not want to come home with him so us four and Cindy had dinner together. Then Julia went shopping to Fedmart and I went to sleep. When she got back Julia and I came home. I’ve been reading but it’s bedtime and hope I can stop after all the naps I had today. No cough trouble now."
Nov. 16: "Julia took me to D. Schur. They gave me flu shot. He sent me to another doctor about my hand and he cut off the wart that was sore. Read most of evening. Supper about 7. No cough and felt quite good all day."
Nov. 17: "Wrote a letter to David. Felt weak and took nap….I decided to have a game of anagrams. While I was doing that came Suzanne with four of her young girlfriends. They had been to … It was a big surprise and really waked me up. They left about 9 and I have been reading since they left. Julia has to stay up so I won’t be going to bed at 10 tonite."
Nov. 18: "I watched “Wild Kingdom” on TV from 8 to 9, then read in Evangel. It’s after 9:30 so I am going to bed soon."
Nov. 19: "Joe came down from … and came out here to visit me. I was so surprised and so glad. Their house is progressing and Dora is packing. He told Gloria he would see me Friday. Is planning to return Saturday….This evening I unraveled a strip of brown yarn for Gloria. She is ripping what she did to do it another way. Later I can help her with? A lot of yellow. I feel like it is bedtime so will prepare to retire. Have felt farely well today and hope to get more cross-stitch done tomorrow."
Nov. 20: "After a restless nite up for bath and breakfast and hoping for some accomplishment today….Julia gone to school. Guess I’ll have a game. Had one game of transograms, then raveled yellow yarn for Gloria. She is recrocheting the yarn in a different pattern. Got to bed at 10 PM and had a good nite."
Nov. 21: "Got letters from Mary Olive, Eugene dated Nov. 5, also letter from Evelyn mailed yesterday. I am glad the Hunts are finally in Venezuela. Hope by this time they are settled in there own place. About 9 PM Chris Gallup surprised us by stopping in for an hour on his way home from Costa Mesa. Got to bed late and had a restless nite."
Nov. 22: "Preparing to leave for Audrey’s home where we are to have dinner. Gloria has sore throat and feels miserable. Julia took us to hospital for Gloria, also other errand. We got to Audrey’s home after noon. Had delicious dinner near 3 PM. Darlene and Joe were there from … A marine from the Base also. Late afternoon Audrey and I undertook a game — many interruptions. Susie planned to have a game but never got to it. We left after dark and had two hours evening at home. Had a good nit."
Nov. 23: "After lunch Julia took Gloria to the Doctor — she has bad throat — then took me for another X-ray….After supper had one game of transograms and read paper and magazine until bedtime. Juila went to Singles at church. Ralph stopped in few minutes. Amy was with him. Letter from Eugene, Mary Olive and Elizabeth from Venezuela. Letter from David. He had to leave on Thanksgiving Day for Alaska."
Nov. 24: "Oh, such a long evening. At last it is 9:30 and I am going to bed."
Nov. 25: "Around 5 PM who should surprise but Chris Gallup. He was on his way back to Costa Mesa to school and work. It was a nice surprise. I’ve been reading Voice. Plan to see No 5 at 8 PM on TV. Gloria came home around 9:30 so now I am going to bed. Been a good day."
Nov. 26: "Gloria too tired and her arm hurting to wind yarn I had hoped to unravel for her. So I’ll walk a while. Off to bed before 10 PM."
Nov. 28: "A walk to lagoon at 10. Saw trains and buses as usual. Back to stitching until lunch, then back to stitching until 2:30 when curtain closed….When Gloria got ready I raveled yarn for her to wind two big balls. More reading and TV. Now 9:30, will drink my glass of medicine and prepare to go to bed."
Nov. 29: "Julia took us to church before 10 and I found they were having a sale of all the things they had made. So I did not do any work."
Nov. 30: "Julia came home about 10 and said we will go shopping now, then decided to have lunch. I am not hungry but ate a bit of fruit and melon. Got started about 11 and got home at 3. Too late to cross-stitch so did a bit of reading — had a nap and just before dark walked up the road a block. Had dinner at 6, read more and spent part of evening dealing out yarn for Gloria’s crochet work. So I had about a three hours in wheelchair, Gloria pushing me all thru the plaza stores. It’s now 9:40 so I’ll go to bed and hope for a good sleep."