Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Diary Tidbits-August 1980

Aug. 1: "Lunch, then off to Doctor Curtin. He said my eyes were good as could be expected. He also examined Gloria’s eyes and said they are fine. The weather is so warm and uncomfortable."
Aug. 2: "...until around 4 when a big surprise. Gladys Wilson who I have known for 30 years came from Oceanside with her daughter from … to visit me. It was so good to see them. They left before 6 and I worked until supper was ready. I ate half my supper and became nauseated. Have not least idea the cause. I laid down a while, felt better and got up and waited in living room from 8 to near 10."
Aug. 3: "Ralph couldn’t come for me so I didn’t get to church but I don’t hear so it doesn’t matter much….
Aug. 4: "Went to patio to work until near 6. While there the five kittens came out to play. Julia gone somewhere all day….After supper reread my letters from Evelyn — Mary Olive — Virginia, also a card from Harold Thew from Ireland."
Aug. 6: "Julia and Gloria went to San Diego on business for Gloria."
Aug. 7: "After supper a ride to …, a wait of 40 minutes, then home and to post office….Plans for a trip to Joe’s. Hope to see friends and other relatives while up that way."
Aug. 9: "Search for tithing Scripture. Work until lunch and after lunch until 2….Before 9 came Art, Anita, Laurie, Vanessa, the other children on their way home to Lakeside. It was such a happy surprise. I had not seen Laurie since she was married. Her little son Steve is about 3. Was so good to see them all.
Aug. 10: "Ralph and Esther came for me after 10:15 and we were there in plenty of time. Mike Hinds, a missionary pilot, gave message….I watched animal pictures on TV from 8 to 9. One was catching a kangaroo, very interesting."
Aug. 11: "Been decided we will not go to Sonora since Suzanne cannot go with us. Received word that Ralph’s father died this morning."
Aug. 13: "Then more errands and Fedmart, finally arriving at Esther’s. Laurie was there. She is working at Camp Pendleton for two weeks."
Aug. 14: "Julia took us to church at 10 and came for us after 1."
Aug. 15: "Julia took us to Suzanne’s and we got in her car and she took us to Navy area and we got on a ship that took us for two hours around the bay. An interesting trip. This was julia’s treat to Suzanne, Gloria and I. Then Suzie took us out to dinner, from there to Audrey’s where we spent the evening — Geroge, Audrey, Suzanne and Julia playing cards. I read some and worked on words made from — Purchase. We got home about 11."
Aug. 16: "I had a nap and was hunting words when Julia came in and told me I had company. It was my grandson Harold Calkins. So good to see him again. He had to leave soon. I worked in patio a while. After supper read the Digest. Ralph and Esther stopped in on their way back from taking Harold to the plane."
Aug. 18: "Very cloudy and dark. I can’t see to do my work until it gets lighter. Missed my morning walk. Had a nap right after lunch. Then a trip to hospital for Gloria. Read a lot. Worked a little. After supper came Ralph and Esther and Yvonne Altura (she works in Harold’s office). They brot a 14-carrot cake and we all had some, then visited until 10 o’clock when they went home."
Aug. 19: "Left for San Diego around 10. Went to Suzanne’s — no one there. Went to Audrey’s, didn’t stay there. Finally went to lunch about 1, then back to Suzanne’s. she drove up behind us. We stayed there until around 9 and got home at 9:45. I had a day with nothing to do but wait."
Aug. 20: "Just before 10 … call in to see us. I have appointment for permanent at 10:30. We were a little late for appointment and had to wait a little while….Yvon Altura returned to Miami today."
Aug. 21: "Esther had a few inches of yarn I needed so I was able to finish the needlepoint I was doing for the women’s ministries. Gloria went to dentist for some painful work so did not come back to Esther’s. Julia came about 6, had supper with us, helped clean up after supper and we came home around 8."
Aug. 22: "Gloria was at dentist yesterday and has suffered pain all day. Julia registered for school today. It begins Sep. 4."
Aug. 23: "Julia gone to San Diego tonite. Now it is bedtime. Gloria’s jaw still hurting."
Aug. 24: "Bro. Webber sermon was on Russia the Bear, Israel the Lion. I wish I could have understood what was said."
Aug. 25: "Started usual reading but quit and left for Esther’s and was there until about 3. Gloria suffering intensely with tooth so Julia took her to the dentist. When I got home went with work into patio until near 4, had a walk, then supper. Gloria still hurting."
Aug. 26: "At 3 a ride to dentist. Gloria still suffering. We got back about 4:20."
Aug. 27: "Ralph and I played dominoes for a while until time for them to go home."
Aug. 28: "Ralph and Esther here helping Julia get ready for rummage sale tomorrow. The newly covered furniture arrived today. It sure looks nice."
Aug. 31: "Julia and Gloria up at 4 AM, left at 4:30 to pick up Ralph to go to L.A. Airport where Gloria will board a plane for El Salvador. I waked up to bid her goodbye. They had to be on at 8. Plane left at 9. Julia and Ralph got home about noon. Gloria supposed to arrive at Salvador at 4. Suzanne helped me while Julia was gone."