Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Diary Tidbits-September 1980

Sep. 1: "Breakfast over before 9. Julia now has Gloria’s work of helping me and it is hard for her to do everything. We hope for help soon."
Sep. 2: "Julia helped me get a bath and we went to Esther’s. Ariel and Evelyn were there and Miranda. They took me to the Harbor in the morning. We ate lunch in trailer, then watched the boats, birds and chipmunks. It was so nice to be with them. Came back to Esther’s for supper."
Sep. 3: "Ariel and Evelyn came for me mid afternoon and we went back to the harbor again. Ariel went fishing and Evelyn and I had three games of anagrams in the trailer. About 5:30 went back to Esther’s and Ariel took us all to dinner."
Sep. 5: "A young named Beatrice came to try out the work here. She is doing very well."
Sep. 6: "Julia gone to school before I got dressed. School on Saturday strange. Finished the needlework for Elizabeth. Had a walk to lagoon, also a walk in street in opposite direction I usually go. Julia planned to go out this evening but something went wrong with the water works so she did not go. Ralph came over and helped fix."
Sep. 11: "Beatrice took me for a walk. About 5:30 Ralph took Julia, Esther, Beatrice and I in his car for dinner, then brot us home. Julia went back to Oceanside to get her car and was home before 9. I am so tired I am going to bed earlier than usual."
Sep. 12: "Beatrice lost her card so she is gone and a new person is here. In the evening a happy surprise: Ralph Jr. came to see us. He is in the Navy. We played dominoes, he won. Then we had a game of transograms and I won. At 10 o’clock Merle and Cindy came after Ralph. It was sure good to see him."
Sep. 13: "After breakfast came a woman to see about work. Her husband wanted her home at nite. Gloria phoned this morning from El Salvador that she wants to come back here. I hope she can come. The woman who was here yesterday came back to clean house today."
Sep. 14: "Breakfast over before 9. Did not get to church or anywhere else."
Sep. 15: "Up and going as usual. The woman came back this morning but stayed only an hour and left….After supper we went to the college on business but did not finish it. So now it is bedtime and I am tired having sat in car four hours today."
Sep. 16: "Julia awakened me at 8 AM. I’ve never slept that late but I feel good for having that extra sleep. Worked at needlepoint mostly ripping….Around 4 went to the college on business errand, then went to Grace Brassington’s home in College area."
Sep. 17: "Everything as usual. A young woman called Grace is helping us. She speaks no English but knows how to work. She took me for my afternoon walk. I got quite a bit done on the snowman. Lost my needle threader so that hindered me. Maybe I’ll find it tomorrow."
Sep. 19: "During the nite Julia became so ill that she landed in the hospital for a while. So she has slowed down and feels better. I worked on the pillow top until 2:15."
Sep. 20: "Julia left at 8 to go to a rummage sale. I had my walk at 10 to the lagoon. I worked at the needlepoint until lunch….. Juila and a friend went somewhere at 8 o’clock."
Sep. 21: "Julia showered me this morning. About 3 Ralph came by and invited us to supper at 6….We arrived there about 6:15. Supper served shortly after. Julia took a cocoanut cream pie."
Sep. 22: "Julia went to the Base and got my watch left there for repairs, $3.85."
Sep. 23: "Audrey phoned that Robert Draper’s father died. Had walk up the road around 4."
Sep. 24: "Grace’s day off so she is gone. Prepared letter and cupons for General Mills to get a Brahms tablespoon. Julia helped me…..About 4 Bro. Nelson called on us for an hour. I worked at needlepoint out in yard and got chilled."
Sep. 25: "Gracie didn’t come back last nite, came about 9 this morning so postponed my bath.... Julia out for evening."
Sep. 26: "After 10:30 Julia and I went to the church to attend Ethel Walker’s funeral. Bro. Zimmerman preached. He and his wife sang duet. Bro. Webber sang a solo. Julia said it was a nice service. I understood nothing sang or preached. Got home by 12:30….Ralph and Gracie and I played dominoes until 9. Then they left to get early to bed. They plan to leave for Fresno tomorrow morning for seven-hour drive."
Sep. 27: "After supper Gracie and I played dominoes until Julia came home at 8:30."