Monday, June 4, 2012

Diary Tidbits-December 1979

Dec. 1: "I have been miserable all day feeling like crying. I don’t know why. I have no reason to cry. I learned today that Ralph and Esther are gone to Sonora."
Dec. 2: "Around 5 PM Julia took us out to dinner. So dark I couldn’t see what I was eating so Ariel went to the car and brot in a light and set it by my place. Had a good dinner."
Dec. 3: "In evening helped Gloria ravel yarn."
Dec. 5: "Ralph and Esther are returned home from Sonora."
Dec. 6: "Elizabeth Hunt sent me a job of needlepoint so I’ll sure be busy. After supper watched TV till Julia was ready to come home around 8 PM. Been a good day. Julia and Gloria went shopping. I got a number of cards thru mail. I have not started mine yet."
Dec. 8: "Up for bath and shampoo after the longest sleep in years, from 2 AM until 6 AM. I feel so much better….Trying to keep up with mail."
Dec. 11: "Found several skeins of stitching thread I didn’t know we had."
Dec. 13: "I took my stitching along and worked on it while Julia and Gloria shopped. They were not very long. I got some done and liked the idea. I think I’ll take work along again when it is convenient."
Dec. 14: "Off to Fedmart at 6. Dinner away from home — not good."
Dec. 15: "Cindy and Heather were here for a while this morning. I worked on the mail and did stitching. They have tree up and gifts stacked around it. Will celebrate Christmas 16th because some are going away, also two birthdays, 17th and mine 19th, so we will celebrate all together the 16th. I don’t feel very good. My balance is getting worse.
Dec. 16: "After 3 came George, Audrey, Tina, Chris, Joe, Darlene, Esther, Ralph, Cynthia & Steve, Arron, Amy, Susie for Christmas party early because some are to be away Christmas 25th. It was all lovely. Julia served sandwich cake, real cake and coffee. Everyone appeared to be enjoying it all. Every left by 6 PM and it seems so quiet."
Dec. 18: "Before lunch finished here came Irene Barth and Joanna Sims, my granddaughter-in-law and my granddaughter, one from Vista, one from San Marcos. I had not seen them for about a year and was so happy to have a little visit with them. Worked at stitching a while and Ralph came for take me for ride while he did errands. I took my work along and worked when he was doing his errands. Tonite supper at 5."
Dec. 19: "Up and going as usual. I am 97 today. Usual reading. Went to lagoon at 10. Prepared mail. Stitched. Pastor Webber and Pastor Metcalf came to visit me for my birthday =. They sang Happy Birthday to me and it was so nice and a real surprise. I was supposed to get to the Christmas program in evening but it did not happen. Had a game after 8 PM."
Dec. 20: "Then we all five went to Kardiff Kitchen to have a good lunch. Then Ralph drove around where I had never been and finally got his father out San Marcos and we went home to Esther’s and about 6:30 or 7 had a delicious dinner."
Dec. 22: "In afternoon Ralph took Gloria and I for ride on errands in GemCo area. I took my stitching along and got a bit accomplished. Dinner after 6. Retire at 9:45."
Dec. 23: "About 8:30 PM came the neighborhood children caroling. Shortly after came Pastor Don Metcalf with a group from church for caroling. I appreciate both."
Dec. 24: "I had lost two $10 checks that had been sent for Christmas and Julia and Glroia found them in trashcan. I had thrown out check frame from my book and they were tucked in between unused leaves. O what a relief. God surely answered my prayers. I did my walk to lagoon at 10 and then stitched until lunch was ready, then stitched until Julia was ready to go see Miss Hazlett. After we left her we stopped by Dora’s for Julia to leave a gift. Before going to Dora’s we visited Gloria’s friends in Vista. Bob Schmidt came over at 1 o’clock for lunch. A very interesting day."
Dec. 26: "About 4 went over to Esther’s. A delicious dinner around 5:30 or 6. Anita and family were there, Cynthia and children also, Steve had to be in San Francisco. Afer distribution of gifts Vanessa and I had a game of anagrams and Anita and I one of transograms. Julia and Gloria came home about 9 and Art and Anita brot me home before 10. It was a very happy time."
Dec. 27: "Gloria got her nail cutter and trimmed my fingernails. Saw train going both ways, also bus. Then came home and stitched until lunch and most of afternoon until 4 PM. Read until dinner. More reading. My eyes hurt and I am sleepy so shall go to bed. Julia and I are supposed to go to Cynthia’s for lunch tomorrow and I want to feel good."
Dec. 28: "A bit of reading and at 10:40 we left for Cynthia’s — a nice ride up there. Had a delicious lunch and Julia had a good visit. I not being able to hear did not converse. She has a lovely (house?) and was nicely decorated for Christmas. We left around ? and were back in Carlsbad where Julia and Gloria went shopping. Julia got some yellow yarn I need, also bought some apricot trees. I had a nap while they shopped."
Dec. 29: "Mrs. Brassington came while we were eating lunch. After lunch Julia and her went somewhere and Gloria said they went to the Base. About 3:45 a walk to lagoon. Got top of couch ride of ??? Registered my gifts. Red magazine, Bible, and watched TV. Am so tired of TV noise. A lady came around 8 and Julia and her went somewhere. I am tired and am going to be… Julia bought Gloria and I each a new pillow for our beds."
Dec. 30: "Gloria left in the morning, returned just after 10 PM — said she had been to Escondido."