Friday, June 8, 2012

Diary Tidbits-April 1981

Apr. 1: "Ralph came over and fixed my work frame but didn’t fix it. Worked until lunch and after lunch until 4, then a walk up the road. Early supper for Gloria and Walter go to school. I went with Julia to take them. We will go get them at 8:45."
Apr. 2: "Julia took Gloria and I to church at 10 and came for us at 12 and we had lunch and then she took us to Esther’s at 1."
Apr. 3: "Up after a miserable nite. I was very tired but could not get comfortable. Worked a little. After 10 a ride to drugstore, gas station and Big Bear and bakery. Went for permanent from 3 to 6. Murlene’s husband Darrell Hiat called on us about 6:30. After supper reading. Gloria not feeling well so Julia will help me prepare for bed. I finished the pillow top today."
Apr. 4: "Just got news that Polly Delamarter has fallen and broken her hip and is in the hospital. Had a ride to Big Bear this morning and to Vons this afternoon. Don’t feel good today, short of breath and weak. Julia and a friend went somewhere."
Apr. 5: "After 10 Julia took Gloria and Walter to Escondido. I didn’t get to church."
Apr. 6: "Early supper. Gloria to school. Dominoes with Walter after he cleared the table and washed the dishes."
Apr. 7: "Dominoes with Walter until 8."
Apr. 8: "A ride to school to take Gloria and Walter at 6 PM. Another ride to go for them at 8:45."
Apr. 9: "No women’s meeting in Carlsbad today, are having it elsewhere….Had morning walk around rose garden."
Apr. 10: "I read as usual Bible and news and worked on the needlepoint until lunch and after lunch. Made mistakes and had to rip a lot of it out. Had walk up the road around 4. A teacher from school Walter attends called around on us about 5 and when he left he took Walter with him. Brot him back around 8. Julia went somewhere to church, 7:15."
Apr. 11: "Julia took me to Big Bear before dark. She went out with a lady friend for dinner and evening. We had late supper, then a game of dominoes with Walter."
Apr. 12: "Julia took Gloria and Walter to Vista and I went along for ride. Then we went to Grace Brassington home but she was gone….Gloria and Walter came home before 6 and we had supper together around 7."
Apr. 13: "Worked until about 11 when who should appear but Joe Barth. I was so glad to see him. They are staying at Joanna’s. He is look(ing) healthy but has to take heart medicine. He had lunch with us and left mid afternoon….After supper Julia went to tax office, ice cream and Fedmart."
Apr. 14: "Up for bath after a miserable sleepless nite. Two hours sleep. Muscle spasms and pain in left foot. I felt better after breakfast but didn’t get my morning walk….Julia got me some stamps so now I can finish my answering letters."
Apr. 15: "A letter from Eugene Hunt that Mary Olive is sick and under Doctor’s care. Julia saw her last of February and she appeared well. I didn’t get much work done, too much riding around. Gloria bought Walter a bicycle for his birthday next week."
Apr. 16: "Julia took us to church at 10 and came back for lunch and brot us home….. I met a woman today who knew my husband. She said he prayed for her."
Apr. 17: "About 2 PM came Debbie and little daughter. A little late Audrey, Tina, a friend, Darlene. They had an Easter egg hunt. After some visiting they left for home."
Apr. 18: "Julia’s friend Virginia came and had supper with us, then they left for ?. I red a little but can’t see very good by present light so guess I’ll have a game. Had game of transograms."
Apr. 19: "Julia took us to church. The crowd was bigger than usual. After service we came home for few minutes, then went “out” for lunch to a place I had never been. Had to climb a stairs. The food was good. We came home for a few minutes again, then left for Escondido to take Gloria and Walter to a friend."
Apr. 20: "After 5:30 supper Julia took Gloria to school. Walter and I played dominoes until 8. I read until 8:45, then we all went for Gloria. Read and watched TV until bedtime. A letter from Suzanne today, very interesting five pages."
Apr. 21: "After breakfast Julia took Walter to Health Center for a shot. When we got home Darrell Hiatt and Darlene Fawaz were here. They stayed for lunch. He is returning home tonite. I have run out of yarn so now have no work."
Apr. 22: "Worked until lunch and after lunch until used up all yarn I had. Had walk up road about 4. Gloria to school an hour. Neighbor invited Walter for see a movie and he got home about 7:30. Think I’ll have a game."
Apr. 23: "After supper played dominoes with Walter a little while. After that I had a game of transograms. Julia got things ready to begin new pillow top. I’ll finish the other when she get the yarn. Hope I sleep good and feel stronger tomorrow."
Apr. 24: "Worked a little more till dark. Lots of ripping for mistakes."
Apr. 25: "Walter got invited out at 5. Everyone likes that little boy. Julia and friend went Vista. I spent a miserable evening. Nothing I liked on TV so I am going to bed."
Apr. 26: "Julia took Gloria and Walter to Plaza where they got a bus for Escondido. It’s 9:30 and they have not returned."
Apr. 27: "Gloria at school. While she was gone Walter and I had a good game of dominoes. When Julia went to get Gloria we went along. This has been a good day."
Apr. 28: "Read two chapters in Acts and now am ready to prepare for bed."
Apr. 29: "Walter went to school with Gloria. Sister Freeman came to stay with me while Ralph and Esther took Gloria to school. Julia came home about dark so I was not alone but it was nice having Sis. Freeman here. Ralph and Esther came to take her home before 10."
Apr. 30: "After Walter came from school about 3 Ralph came by and got Gloria and Walter and he drove to Escondido, left his car to be fixed. Julia and I followed them and Ralph and Walter got in Julia’s car and we traveled back round about way thru north part of City of San Diego back to Ralph’s home. Gloria stayed at Esther’s and did not go with us. We had dinner at Esther’s and returned home about 8 o’clock."