Monday, June 4, 2012

Diary Tidbits-October 1979

Oct. 1: "Sent thanks to Floyd Breeding for sending me notice of Sister Sheets death that occurred Sep. 12, 1979."
Oct. 2: "Sat in patio to work after sunshine moved to other side of house. Ralph and Esther invited to dinner….. After Gloria finished kitchen work Ralph and I played four games of dominoes while Esther and Gloria worked with beads making Christmas tree trimmings."
Oct. 3: "Worked most of forenoon with mail. Went to lagoon at 10. Finally got eight letters in mailbox."
Oct. 4: "I don’t know what Julia did. She came back to Esther’s for dinner after 6 PM."
Oct. 5: "We visited for a while. Someone was standing in the door but I could see who it was, late she came into the kitchen. It proved to be Mrs. Henderson. I had not seen her for long time and she stayed for lunch and part of afternoon. After lunch I moved to bedroom where the sun made it lighter. About 4 Ralph took me up the street and back for a walk."
Oct. 6: "Went in patio as soon as sun got farther west. Had a lot of trouble with knots and errors but stayed at it until about 5….Had a letter from Laurie Goetchius. They moved to Pennsylvania."
Oct. 7: "Susie helping with ‘Gloria’s’ case. Gloria left soon as they were thru with her and at about 1 or 1:30 we went to Peking restaurant for lunch — got back home near 3 PM, then Susie went home."
Oct. 8: "Julia came home after lunch and mid afternoon we went to police station to get Gloria fingerprinted. Cross-stitch from near 4 to after reading 5. Dinner at 5:30."
Oct. 9: "Gloria attended my face with tweezers. Saw bus both ways and also train going north. Saw train going south when nearly home. Worked at cross-stitch until call for lunch."
Oct. 10: "After dinner worked with their beads. Esther made a little bird and Gloria learned how to."
Oct. 12: "Julia took letter to post office. She forgot magazines that belonged to Joe so came back home for them. So it was near 3 PM when we arrived. Gwen was there and knitting. Dora showed us some of the afghans she had made. We were there till around 4. Joe picked some figs of us off his tree. Joe and Dora are leaving in trailer at 4 AM Saturday, Oct. 13. Dora said she would return on plain in about a month. They expect to start their home building the 15th. We got home after 4 and I went to patio and worked cross-stitch until suppertime."
Oct. 13: "About 3 PM Julia took us to the plaza to look. Took wheelchair and Gloria pushed me all over the place."
Oct. 14: "Julia took me to church and we got home by 1….Today Julia stayed to church with me. She had a difficult time to find a parking place so when we left for home I had a long walk to the car."
Oct. 15: "Now 9:20 PM. Soon bath and bed. Had an earthquake around 4. Supposed to leave at 7 AM."
Oct. 16: "As soon as ready Julia took me to Esther’s and Julia and Gloria went to San Diego to see about Gloria’s affairs….Ralph came before dark and ask me if I wanted to walk. Yes, so he walked with me a block up the sidewalk."
Oct. 17: "Packing to go to Susan’s for a few days. Gloria is a wonder at getting all my needs together….Gloria seems to have taken over the cooking and housework. Sue had to type until near 10 PM, then deliver it two miles away. She looked so tired. I got to bed around 10 PM. Worked all afternoon on the cross-stitch."
Oct. 18: "Susie’s cat let me pet her a little without trying to leave for the first time today….About 5 got news that Julia would come for dinner and take us home tonite."
Oct. 19: "Hunts telephoned Oct. 18….They cannot leave for Venezuela until they get their health papers!"
Oct. 20: "Julia most of day looking at Plaza….Julia going out after 8 PM. Had a lovely rain today. Men came today to fix so we can turn on heat when we need it."
Oct. 22: "Julia is having two bedrooms and one bath painted so much furniture is out of place. None of that keeps me from doing the cross-stitch. Today I worked at least four or five hours at it."
Oct. 23: "Came home and worked on the cross-stitch until lunch. One month yesterday since I started it….Julia’s car broke down again so she is using Ralph’s red car until hers is repaired. I got along good with my work but lost a needle at the start this morning. Hope I can do as well tomorrow."
Oct. 24: "A walk to the neighbors’ mailbox. Dinner at 5:30. A letter from Nancy Hunt."
Oct. 25: "…did cross-stitch until 3:30 when I was taken to the Doctor. I thot I was to go Friday. Ralph took me and we were back in about an hour….Doctor said I was same as when I saw him before about two months ago. I learned Mrs. Towler? Fell and broke her hip about two weeks ago."
Oct. 27: "Gloria operated on my face and cut my fingernails. I attended to some cupon business and am altogether frustrated. Finally got it all straightened out and layed down and had a little nap and feel better. Then lunch. Cross-sttich rest of afternoon."
Oct. 28: "About 10 Esther called to say they would be after us for church — today the 42nd anniversary of the founding of the church. When I moved to Carlsbad they were in what is now the boys club….I had long walk to lagoon and around the rose bushes while Julia was pruning them, cutting off the dead buds….While at supper table Mary Olive phoned from Florida, said dreamed about me last nite. They have not sold their car and can’t go to Venezuela until they sell. The one who promised failed."
Oct. 29: "Now 8:20. Look at TV — not interesting so read in Digest. Now I am going to bed. Ralph stopped in a few minutes about 4, said kids would be at their house and he was on way to grocery. I think he meant Merle’s girls."
Oct. 30: "Had two games of anagrams and in both times each side won same number of words. Will read some. Soon bedtime."
Oct. 31: "About 4 Ralph came over and invited me to go with them tomorrow morn at 8 to see the Butterfields. I plan to go. Gloria would like to go but Esther learned she can’t go to another county until she gets her green card. I have been coughing yesterday and today. Hope I feel better tomorrow. I don’t want to miss that trip. Now it’s bath and bed."