Friday, June 8, 2012

Diary Tidbits-August 1981

Aug. 1: "Miriam Hyatt and son Johnathan came up from San Diego this morning. Good to see them."
Aug. 2: "Up as usual. Ralph and Esther came for me and I went to AM service, first in about two months. Had Communion and a good service. As usual could understand nothing. After lunch a nap and now I’ll help to prepare some mail."
Aug. 3: "Usual reading. Then arrangement for me to have a permanent. Went to Penny’s and was there until after 1 PM."
Aug. 4: "A walk around rose garden and later a walk a block up the road. Ralph in hospital having surgery."
Aug. 5: "After lunch off to the hospital, a lot of vomiting. Some errands and finally home around 4. Work a little while."
Aug. 6: "Been a good day. Ralph is now home from the hospital and doing well."
Aug. 7: "Worked a little while, then had a trip to the Base. Gloria gone for the day. We arrived home about 1:30….Gloria and Walter arrived home at 9."
Aug. 8: "About 3 PM we went over to Esther’s and Ralph’s. Mrs. Henderson was there. Ralph was up walking around. Stayed only a little while. Julia put net on frame for me and we got yarn at Esther’s and I started pillow for Esther. Spent most of evening reading a story from Reader’s Digest. Now it is bedtime. Julia went out for the evening."
Aug. 9: "At 2 PM Julia took Gloria and Walter to a friend in So. Carlsbad, then went on some errands. Got back home about 3:45….Sent a note to the Tabernacle. Had a walk up the road just before dark."
Aug. 10: "Up and going after a miserable nite. My heart not behaving."
Aug. 11: "I feel more alive this morning….After lunch helped Walnut read, then took a nap. Worked until supper."
Aug. 12: "Murlene came mid morning and had lunch with us. Ralph and Esther came at 3:30 to take me to Doctor. Many there, had to wait. Got home after 5:30."
Aug. 13: "I got a card from Suzanne from Ireland."
Aug. 14: "Gloria and Walter gone for the day. After lunch worked until 2:45."
Aug. 15: "We went to a sale in Leucadia. Julia bought me a dress. When we got home I worked until lunch. After lunch helped Water read. Then I had a nap. Then worked until supper. Now supper is over I’ll have a game. Ralph took Walter to beach. When he came home I was glad to see Cindy, Heather, Amy and Aaron. The parents are painting Ralph’s house."
Aug. 16: "Gloria retired to her room. Not feeling well. Cant’ go to church. Ralph not feeling good. Esther ask us not to call him. Usual reading. Had a walk to lagoon with Walter. Saw a train go north. Have not seen one go north in months….Something bit both knees and both are bothering me."
Aug. 17: "Helped Walter read. Laid down for a nap. Linda came to visit me so I waked up and visited with her. Julia went to San Diego. Supposed to be home by 4 to take Gloria to Doctor. Her car broke down so she phoned Ralph and he took her to doctor. Esther stayed with me. I worked until dark. We had supper at 6 and before I was finished came Murlene, Daniel and Rebecca bringing Julia home. They left before 9. Nice to see them all."
Aug. 18: "Usual reading, then wrote a letter to Myrle Gibson….Ralph came over today and put some new screws in my work frame. Then is another to fix. He also fixed my cane. Gloria still in pain but gets around to help me."
Aug. 19: "Usual reading, this morning Book of Esther. Had a shampoo. Wrote to Sister Hensley. Ralph put new bolts in my needlework frame."
Aug. 20: "Ralph and Esther came for me to go to church. Esther stayed and helped me when I needed it….Now am home about 1. Later we went to K.K. in Escondido to have dinner. This is Gloria’s birthday. She received some nice gifts and Julia got her car back this afternoon. Arrived home before 8:30. Ralph and Esther came home with us but left about 9 for home."
Aug. 21: "Julia went away before lunch. More car trouble. Helped Walter read. Finished the pillow….Audrey came before dinner and spent evening here. She came to play a game with me at 9 o’clock. She won by three points. So we got to bed late but I slept good. She had to pick up Tina at a friend’s house."
Aug. 22: "Ralph came about 1 to get Walter to go with Amy and Aaron out to lunch. I had a nap. About 4 Julia took me with her for a ride around, returning about 6. After supper we all went for another ride. It was after dark and I did not enjoy that."
Aug. 23: "Ralph is coming to take me to church. I am glad for that. Gloria’s friends from Escondido came at 1 o’clock and took her away. She went to church with me this morning. I wrote to Miriam Sandberg, also sent for batteries."
Aug. 24: "Had heart trouble at 4 AM and am weak. Found a verse in Psalms 27:14: “I will strengthen thy heart.” I feel weak but getting better. Helped Walter with reading and arithmetic."
Aug. 25: "Up for bath. Suzanne phoned from England. Everything as usual. Julia prepared my work for me and I worked at it all day, had a nap from 1 until 2 and a walk around front yard and carport. Late afternoon came the visiting pastor, Bro. Nelson. After supper went for a ride to Kmart in Oceanside. Got home in time for some reading."
Aug. 26: "Trouble with my work so did not make progress. Late afternoon came Murlene and Darrell and five children. They stayed only a few minutes, then left with three children to go elsewhere. They left the twins, Jennifer and Jeremy, here, the two youngest about same age as Walter. The twins will be here until Saturday. Esther sent some good background for needlepoint and Julia said we will go no farther with ours. So she put a new piece on the frame and I worked nearly across it after she left for school. I was able to see it with no trouble."
Aug. 27: "Ralph came and took us to the church for women’s meeting where we ate lunch."
Aug. 28: "After 2 Julia took the three kids and I to Esther’s. I took a long nap and read a while until they came back and brot us home, then worked a while."
Aug. 30: "Ralph and Esther came before 10:30 and took me to church, brot me home, had lunch with us….. Brother Webber has been our pastor for 13 years."