Friday, June 8, 2012

Diary Tidbits-July 1981

July 1: "Up and going as usual. Still coughing."
July 2: "Ralph came and took us to church at 10 and came for us at 1. Gloria went I don’t know where. He took me to their home and I was there until 9 PM. Saw Cynthia and her children. Saw Kay and Linda and a number of great-grandchildren. I did not feel good and could not see very good but got some work done. The light is not very good at their house."
July 3: "Saw a long freight train going south. Worked until lunch and after lunch until 3. Finished the pillow top."
July 4: "Up for bath. Did not sleep well. Am wondering what will happen today? Home all day. Went to park in evening to program. Left before it was over because I was cold. Did not see fireworks."
July 5: "Did not go to church because of cough and blow."
July 6: "Murlene and Jeremy and Margaret came about 10. Good to see them. Murlene and Margaret left after supper. Jeremy stayed to play with Walter. Missed morning walk but had a walk up the road just before dark."
July 7: "Gloria arranged my work on frame and I started another pillow top. Murlene came today and brot son Daniel so now I have met three of her children."
July 8: "Up and going as usual. I don’t know what to expect today. Pastor Webber called this morning. Gloria washed my hair and did it in curlers. Worked until 4, then Ralph took me to Doctor but learned nothing about why I cough and blow. When we got home at 7. Cindy was here waiting for us. She had supper with us and then we had a game of transograms. Ralph came for her at 9."
July 9: "Julia tells me the new Doctor Weitzel says I have weak heart. She is to take me back next Wednesday. I got quite a bit done on my needlepoint work."
July 10: "Visiting Pastor called on us this afternoon. Gloria was away part of the time. I did well with my needlepoint."
July 11: "About 11 Ralph came for me and took me for a ride in Oceanside while he attended to business. Then he had lunch with us."
July 12: "Not going to church because I am still coughing and blowing. Usual morning Bible reading. Had a ride around Carlsbad while Julia took Gloria and Walter to a friend’s house at 11.
July 13: "Work until supper and after supper until unable to see. A game of dominoes with Walter about 8."
July 14: "A walk to lagoon. Saw bus, train, sailboat."
July 15: "Esther came over and is fixing the dress from Polly to fit. Read most of evening. Had a little time with Walter on arithmetic."
July 16: "Ralph came by and took us to church and came back for us at 1. Gloria went somewhere and came back to Esther’s for supper. About 8 Ralph took us home. Gloria didn’t have the key with her so we went back to Esther’s and before 10 Julia came by from school and brot us home. My hearing aid battery quit and I couldn’t hear a sound from 1 o’clock on, until we got home and a new battery."
July 18: "Now 4 o’clock. Missed my walk up the road. Julia got my work ready for Monday. I am still coughing and blowing."
July 19: "Still coughing and blowing so will not go to church. Had morning walk to lagoon before Gloria left for Escondido about 11."
July 20: "More work. Before dark a walk up the road. Letter from Myrle Gibson."
July 21: "Up for bath — breakfast. Don’t feel good. Short of breath. Usual reading….Around 4 Ralph came and invited me to go for ride to Vista to Merle and Kay’s home. I enjoyed the ride and a short talk with Kay. Merle had gone to work. He works at nite. Had a walk up the road but did not go all the way. I felt too weak. I can’t see well enough to enjoy reading at nite except for large print. My New Testament in modern speech is large print."
July 22: "Tried to have a nap. Cough hindered me so got up. Finally got moved outdoors. Worked until supper and after supper a while. Had a walk up the road. Been a good day. Slept better so have felt better."
July 23: "Up for bath after a miserable nite. After breakfast usual reading. got to women’s meeting, then to Esther’s, then home."
July 24: "Went to hospital at 4 AM."
July 29: "Came home this morning. Not well and eyes failing."
July 30: "Up and going after good nite’s sleep. Breakfast. Usual reading. Writing to Polly. Work on needlepoint."