Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Diary Tidbits-October 1980

Oct. 2: "Julia took us to church and we found they were having a rally instead of a workday. The church was nearly full of women. After the service they served lunch so it was after 1 when we got home."
Oct. 3: "Julia went out for evening. Grace and I played dominoes after supper until almost 9."
Oct. 5: "Had a bad nite with pain and no sleep until after midnite. Toward morning got better and went to sleep. Susie said burgular arm sounded and the police were out here. I didn’t hear any of the excitement not having on my hearing aid. Ralph came in for few minutes right after breakfast. His arm is out of sling. Suzanne took me to church, sat with Esther. Ralph helped me up and down steps, etc. Julia had good lunch ready when we got home. She went somewhere in afternoon. At 5:30 said we are going out to dinner so we went to Chinese dinner. Too dark, I couldn’t see what I was eating so did not enjoy it."
Oct. 6: "Suzanne left this morning for San Diego. Had a ride to hospital and elsewhere this afternoon and upon arrival home had a walk up the road. Grace and I played dominoes a little while this afternoon. After supper I had one game of transograms. Then Grace and I played dominoes until after 9."
Oct. 7: "About 4:30 or 5 had a rid to post office and Big Bear."
Oct. 8: "Grace’s day off. Spent much of forenoon sorting letters, etc. Grace did have day off after all. She is to go to Audrey’s Friday."
Oct. 9: "Julia’s car being repaired so Ralph coming at 9:30 for me. Ralph and Esther came and took me to church and came back for me about 1….After an early supper Julia went away with a lady and I read and watched TV."
Oct. 10: "Left for San Diego about 9 going to Audrey’s. Grace worked for Audrey at cleaning. After lunch Suzanne and I had a game of transograms, then Darlene and I played dominoes, finally Tina joined us at dominoes….Between 5 and 6 Suzanne and Grace and I left in Sue’s car for Sheldons where we had supper, then came back to Audrey’s for Julia’s car and we left for home about 8. Suzanne provided the meal. I read for a while, then bedtime. Had a miserable nite.
Oct. 11: ". After supper Julia went away, said would be returning late. I had a game of transograms, then Grace and I played dominoes until after 9."
Oct. 12: "Gracie gone for today. Ralph and Esther came by and took me to church and brot me home. Julia had a good dinner waiting for us."
Oct. 13: "Up for breakfast waiting for Grace to come. Grace came after 10. Ralph came in for few minutes about 10. Julia went away and not back at 12:30. Today a holiday, maybe bank closed. Suzie’s car had to be fixed so she was late getting here. We left after lunch for Fontana. Got as far as Vista and Julia’s car had to be fixed. We were to be at Catherine Hammond’s house at 6 PM but we arrived at 10 and got to bed at midnite. Catherine’s half-sister Betty Mueller came to be with us for the dinner and Suzanne went home with her to sleep."
Oct. 14: "Betty took us four up in the mountains over 4,000 feet in the afternoon for dinner. We got home after dark."
Oct. 15: "We left for Sonora. Stayed in motel that nite and arrived at Joe and Dora’s home Thursday afternoon."
Oct. 16: "At Joe’s all day."
Oct. 17: "All day at Joe’s."
Oct. 18: "Left Joe’s this morning for Modesto where we called on Polly and husband."
Oct. 19: "Stayed in motel Saturday nite. Sunday morning for home, arriving here about 6:15 PM. It was a lovely trip. Sonora is in the middle of a forest. It was good to see them and their now house. While we were there on Saturday Nancy Hunt and a friend came on their way to Yosemite. Just after dark the raccoons came to joe’s home on porch outside and got their supper. Suzanne did the driving all the way. She left about 8 PM. She had to be home for a Monday morning appointment."
Oct. 20: "Up around 7 for bath (so glad), missed it on the trip to Sonora. Got a letter from David Benjamin. So glad. First in months. He was gone on a cruise."
Oct. 22: "We went Esther’s and Julia went away. I went to Sister Peer’s funeral with Ralph and Esther and went home with them. Had lunch with them. Had a nap, then a ride to groceries. Had supper there. Julia came around 7 and I came home with her. Sister Peer gave her body to the medical people so there was no coffin, but a nice service with about two dozen people."
Oct. 23: "Julia went to Oceanside for the evening….then Grace and I played dominoes. She won."
Oct. 24: "Wrote to Katherine H. and Betty M. Did a lot of reading….Then Grace and I played dominoes until 9:30. She won. Now bedtime."
Oct. 25: "Supper about 5. Julia went somewhere. I had one game transograms. Grace and I played dominoes for about an hour."
Oct. 26: "Grace’s day off. Ralph and Esther came and got me for church and brot me home….Watching TV saw animals from 9 to 10."
Oct. 27: "Breakfast over and Grace back and at work. Much reading."
Oct. 28: "After 9 PM Grace and I played dominoes for about an hour."
Oct. 29: "Stayed at Esther’s from before 7 until 10. It’s Grace’s day off and Julia had to go somewhere. Now 10:15 and bedtime. My hearing aid didn’t work so I couldn’t talk to anyone."
Oct. 30: "Julia took Grace and I to women’s meeting. She came back later for lunch and brot us home around 1."
Oct. 31: "Julia left for San Diego before lunch."