Friday, June 8, 2012

Diary Tidbits-May 1981

May 1: "Read in Evangel and then in New Testament. Watched TV a little."
May 2: "Gloria washed my hair and put in curlers. Worked until lunch and after lunch until 4….After supper played dominoes with Walter. Then I had a game of transograms. Walter won."
May 3: "Came home after church. After lunch took nap for an hour and have spent the rest of the day reading and walking around the rooms and watching TV a little, not much I care for. It’s 10 o’clock and Gloria is not back but Julia will help me to bed."
May 4: "Candi Calkins graduating from college at Costa Mesa. Julia is going. I don’t feel able to make that trip in the evening. The program is with reception after. Had walk up the road. Ralph and Esther stopped by for Julia to go with them. I am glad she don’t have to make that long drive in the night. After supper over and table clear I had a game of transograms. It’s 9:30 now and near bedtime."
May 5: "Julia made an appointment with a hearing aid dealer for Friday at 2 PM. This has been a good day and I got quite a lot done."
May 6: "Julia took Gloria to school. Walter here with me. After supper Walter and I had game of dominoes. Then I read until time to go for Gloria. We were home by 9:10 and I read until 9:40."
May 7: "Julia took us to church, from there to Esther’s where we spent the afternoon and had supper with them."
May 9: "Going to rummage sale in Carlsbad. We were back by 10. Then Gloria washed my hair and did it in curlers. I then worked until lunch. Just after lunch came Grace with a lunch of flowers and a Mother’s Day card for one. She sat down in rocker by my desk and visited with me for a while. I appreciated all this. After she left I worked until about 5 when we all went to Safeway. I waited in car. So we didn’t have supper until around 7, then Julia went away for the evening to Vista."
May 10: "Up and going as usual. Joe phoned wishing me a Happy Mother’s Day. Julia gave me a beautiful card and two pair pantyhose. Julia took us to church and stayed and sat with us. They honored mothers during the service. I went for nap around 2 and when I awakened Ariel, Evelyn, Daniel and Miranda were here. I was so glad to see them. We had dinner together in the patio. They brot me a Mother’s Day card and box of peppermint candy I am fond of. The church gave me a plant. Ralph and Esther a card and 100 stamps equal to $18. Ariel and family left for home about 7:30."
May 11: "Early supper. Julia took Gloria to school before 6. After kitchen work done Walter ask to play dominoes so we played until after 8. At 8:45 we three will go get Gloria."
May 12: "Esther and Ralph stopped in. She got yarn I needed."
May 13: "After lunch was at my desk and in came Harold and Betty. We had a very plesant time together for about an hour. I was so glad to see them. They return to Florida Tuesday. I may see them again before they leave. Worked until 4, then had walk up the road. Been reading all evening. Gloria gone to school. Will be soon going to get her before 9."
May 14: "At 9 read some more. Now bedtime and I don’t feel very strong. My eyes are failing."
May 15: "After breakfast looked at News, then worked until 10, then went for walk to lagoon, saw copter, bus going both ways, and finally the train going to San Diego….Now I’ll have a game or two. I did then read in Romans for a while. Now it’s bedtime. Been a good…"
May 16: "Finished a pillow top today. Ralph and Esther with us for supper and evening."
May 17: "Ralph came in truck and took me to church. The door to family car won’t open. Gloria and Walter went with Esther. We were all at Esther’s for lunch. Julia brot me home and the others went somewhere. They brot Gloria and Walter home in time for bed."
May 19: "Worked until lunch and from lunch until used all the yarn….About 6:45 came Audrey, Tina and Suzanne for dinner. Little later came Ralph and Esther. They all left before 10 except Suzanne. So good to see her again."
May 20: "Harold, Betty and Candi stopped in a minute to say goodby. Harold is flying home and Betty and Candi are driving their car back to Florida (home)."
May 21: "After 6 went to Esther’s for supper. After supper Esther, Julia and Gloria went to Gemco. When they returned we came home. Suzanne arrived at midnite."
May 22: "I had a miserable night. No sleep until after 4, then was awakened by a stabbing pain in left leg. Up earlier than usual since Suzanne had to be aboard plane in Los Angeles at 8. Breakfast over about 9. Had walk to lagoon. Did a lot of reading. Around 2 o’clock came Linda Calkins to visit us. She had supper with us and stayed until about 9. We had one game of transograms."
May 23: "A long ride over Oceanside ending at beach. Julia went back home and prepared a lunch and brot it down to us and later took us to Esther’s. There I met my great-grandson Ralph Butterfield who is in the Navy. About 6 Julia came for us and we all had dinner at our home. Ralph and Esther and Ralph Junior spent evening with us. Played dominoes until 9 when they went home. Julia went away somewhere for evening."
May 24: "When church was out someone back of me kissed me on my cheek. I have no idea who it was."
May 25: "We left Audrey’s after lunch and went to Suzie’s house to water and pick berries. I just sat around all that time so I am tired doing nothing. T. stores closed today so could not get the needed yarn."
May 26: "Esther came over at noon. What I was working was not good. She ripped it out and started me out on a different pattern. It will be pretty. Case worker called on us."
May 27: "Breakfast over before 9. Had a good nite’s rest. Joe Fawaz called on us just before noon."
May 28: "Julia took us to church at 10 but we couldn’t get in until 10:20. She came back for lunch and after 1 left Gloria at Esther’s and we came on home for a rest. Later we went to Esther’s. Walter stayed with me and they went for yarn. About 8 PM came Merle and Kay and we all had strawberry shortcake for dessert."
May 29: "Then worked until too dark to see. Made mistakes so had a lot of ripping to do."
May 30: "After breakfast Julia and Gloria went to a rummage sale. My usual reading done, will begin my work. Spent most of day working, making mistakes and ripping."
May 31: "Ralph not feeling well and will not come for me today so I did not get to church….Around 7:30 came Murlene and Darrell Hiatt and their six youngest children. They had arrived from Oklahoma and came to get Suzanne’s car. They will live in Suzanne’s house. They left for home around 9 and a little later Gloria and Walter arrived form San Diego where they…"